Wednesday, July 27, 2011

You Can Have It!

Remember the old expression, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Here's another way to say it: "You can't have it both ways." It applies, for example of a time for weeks I planned for a gathering with family and friends. To my expectation, everyone brought their favorite dish, dessert, breads, drinks... We had a blast playing games, laughing, and dancing to our favorite songs. However, at the end of the night I wondered why these very people did not continue the celebration and stay to help me clean up. I thought to myself, "you can't have your cake and eat it too!"

I thought about leaving the cleanup until morning. However, my borderline OCD tendencies would not allow me (LOL). Two hours later exhausted and glad I did because the thought of waking up to the mess... NO WAY! As I settled in for the evening, I decided to read a bit and came across a refreshing word in Psalm 16:11,"You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with the eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Here's encouragement for you as it did for me. Notice the past, present, and future implications there? Turns out, sometimes you can have your cake and eat it, too! God himself promises! And He makes it possible. At some point in our past God planted our feet firmly on the "path of life", the path of true faith. We would never have found that path ourselves as we wandered through life's wilderness. God searched us out and brought us home to him.

God will continue to fill us with joy in his presence. Regardless of how we feel at any given moment, regardless of whether we happily accept facts at hand, God presence buoys our hopes, calms our anxieties, and ignites our faith.

This fills my heart to wonder. As I look back on my life, I see the sustaining power of God's presence. As I think about it today, my heart overflows. And as for His promise of future joy, I'm at a loss for words. I can have it and this presence carries on until eternity. There we'll inherit the "eternal pleasures" we can't even imagine now.

This made me smile as I shook my head of how I felt earlier and thought, "Girl go to sleep, its not that serious!"

No comments:

Post a Comment